There are many great things about Omaha and its surrounding Midwest states. We mean no disrespect to our fellow regions, but there’s just something about the heartland that makes us proud to be in our land-locked inhabitance.
From the beautiful and variable sights to our four-seasoned lifestyle, we are proud to be Midwesterners through-and-through.
Here are our top 10 reasons why we think the Midwest is a great place to work and live, particularly in Omaha, Nebraska.
- While some of the country has suffered from high unemployment rates, Nebraska has consistently stayed below the national average. In fact, Nebraska is tied with North Dakota having the third-lowest unemployment rate in the United States (three out of the top four are Midwestern states).
- We have Runza restaurants. There’s just something about those unique German-style sandwiches that we can’t get enough of. Especially when they cost the same as the freezing temperature that day (yes, it’s a thing).
- They say Midwesterners are incredibly polite. It’s a common conception that the people of the Midwest are more friendly and polite than in other areas of the US. We’ll leave that one up to you to decide. Please and thank you.
- Our lack of accents (non-regional diction) gets us jobs and is great for customer service purposes.
- We’re the home of Warren Buffett. Need we say more?
- The cost of living is fantastic! It’s not too expensive to live in most Midwestern areas, excluding the city of Chicago. Sorry to call you out, Illinois.
- Don’t you ever get sick of 80-degree weather all of the time, Hawaii? Come to the Midwest where you can experience all four seasons! Trust us, snow is not that bad when you’re prepared for it.
- We have a lot of great restaurants. Some might debate it’s because there’s not much else to do than eat, but we disagree!
- The heartland has a lot of amazing still lakes where you can fish in the summer and ice skate in the winter. Doesn’t that sound fun?
- There are many things to do inside and outside. You won’t even get sick of them because every season offers a multitude of various activities to suit the demanding, ever changing, unpredictable weather.
The Midwest is a wonderful place to live and work. We are proud to call it our home. There’s just something about Nebraska that keeps people coming back for more. Many natives have tried to leave to experience other states, but find themselves right back in Omaha. Maybe it’s our beautiful homes at a fraction of the cost elsewhere, or the job market. Perhaps it’s the wonderful people and the small-town feel. We may never know for sure.
Come to Omaha and see what it’s all about! And while you’re at it, apply for a job at EMS, INC. We are hiring (even if you don’t have a northern accent).